Sunday, September 16, 2007

Nigerian Driving!

I got my Nigerian license the other day, so now I'm legally on the road...

The "dive-in" method proved effective as I combined my first attempts at Nigerian driving with getting to know Abuja city (road's wise) in earnest & find my way around.

I had been taking taxis when going out with Michelle, or would tune out completely when with another legally-road-worthy driver in times past, so I got it "cold turkey" about a week ago when I took the car & went out with Anisa (who is brand new to Abuja). Half our time was spent asking for directions, but since that day, I've been driving everywhere & am finally getting a little grip (mentally) on the roads here.

Even though I've been part of the work in Abuja for about 9 months, I spent more than 3 months of this year abroad, (2 in the U.S. & 1 in S.Africa) & hadn't really done much driving here between, so my sense of road knowledge (which is already generally useless) was...well, pretty much non-existant....I'm glad that's changed now.



Pictured is the car I presently drive.

I'm gonna tell you a REALLY GOOD car story tomorrow...don't let me forget!

(if you guess what it is b4 I post it, you get a prize...)

4 comments:

whacky said...

Eh Ssebo, you are what?! You are driving! So cool that you're sort of a newbie driver too.

Pray for me, I'm taking my driving test tomorrow.

The few bits of driving I've been doing so far have already proved that my knowledge of Icelandic roads is still completely useless. Lisa and I always used to get lost when driving around and finally it became such a habit to take the wrong road. Now when I'm driving, I automatically take those wrong routes. haha!

At least the folks in my home are learning the importance of DESPERATE prayer. I don't think I've ever seen Thad so desperate as when he sits in the car with me. :-P

Unknown said...

Eh...Nyabo! You will what? You will pass...

I prayed for you just now...

I got this super late...sorry!--I hope it wasn't too late (of course, in the spirit world, they're not bound by time, so maybe my prayer can still be of effect...)

Coolness!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,

Nice post! It's nice to know I'm not the only person who gets lost while driving.
Congrats on getting your lisence.
I'm "patiently" waiting for the REALLY GOOD car story....

Lady Jo said...

ha ha ha, that's funny! Good luck!