Friday, November 09, 2007

Re: debate below!

So what's my take on all this killing business? If you read Curly Cel's comment on the last post you'll know exactly what I think...

I know that there are times when one has to defend themselves or loved ones from an attack by some evil person...this, I think, is a different story...

But revenge, I feel, is what Jesus is so against.

I'm reminded of when Jesus said:

Mat. 26:52 (Jesus talking to Peter said) "Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword."

Jesus also said we should love our enemies...

Mat. 5:43 & 44 You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor & hate your enemy.' 44 "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you & persecute you.

Forgiveness is so much more powerful than revenge & has healing power, I feel...

Here are a few things Jesus said about forgiveness:

Mat.6:14 & 15 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Mat. 18: 21 Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?"
22 Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven."


I stand with Jesus....

Granted, if one of my loved ones was viciously, or maliciously killed by someone, I know it would take a huge, unearthly measure of grace for me to stop myself from harming them back...but that's where I trust having Jesus in me will be my salvation in a situation like that...I have faith that His Grace & Spirit of Love will take over at that time & that I'll be able to rise above (God, help me, please....)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

DIE DIE DIE!!!
Well... you had no comments.
Trying to help.
:)

Unknown said...

Is the die addressed to me, the ppl I spoke about, or the ppl in the movie?

Please explain!

P.S. more comments in the actual debate comment box (see post below)..

Nyx Martinez said...

It's easy to want to legislate the death penalty...until you personally know someone who's about to be sentenced...

Anonymous said...

That's true. but then if you know someone is a child rapist, why allow more people to suffer? The loving thing would be to send him on to his judgement and let him be changed once and for all over there, instead of there being the possibility of him raping or murdering again once he's released from prison.

Anonymous said...

I came upon this debate just now, like weeks later, but was very interested as I have thought about this quite a bit. I am always reminded of the story of Saul/Paul, as he was a murderer and sent whole families of Christians to their deaths, a total enemy, yet, not past hope after the Lord got through to them. How do we know how someone's life is meant to play out, or what choices they will make? It seems totally beyond our jurisdiction to have the power to bestow life or death. I feel safer leaving it to Him. Also, sometimes, death is a easier end for the very wicked than the misery that God could put them through for the crimes they have committed. I haven't really come to a conclusion about killing to save the lives of your loved ones, like if they were under attack. I just pray that if it ever comes to that, that I would have a good connection with the Lord to know what I was supposed to do, or what kind of miracle to pray for.
Well, that was very long winded, but those are some of my thoughts on this topic.
Thanks for the inspiring and meaningful blog, Brian! Praying for your Christmas ministries.

Unknown said...

I had commented earlier on 'anonymous' comment above at some point last week...but I see my internet connection was funky at the time..

but it went along with what angie just said above..

I feel that enough time may give one chance of rehabilitation...I believe in miracles...

I think that people too quickly pass judgment as far as being quick to say that taking a life is the justified course of action..

Of course, because I oppose the death penalty, I am in strong favor of life imprisonment (as a measure of keeping degenrates/dangerous persons away from society)...or at least till signs of change, repentance & new life show...

you know?

Anonymous said...

and what about the ones that "repent", get released and given a new life because of some sweet Christian who believes they should be given another chance, and then goes and does the same thing again.

Then what?

You gonna say he could have had a different life? Try telling that to the families of those who've suffered!

Unknown said...

Anyone can fall back again...there is that chance...

But the chance of the risk of the offense being repeated, hardly overrides the fact that people do change & that forgiveness, Jesus power & rehabilitation are real...

Unfortunately, the world is not yet run by "sweet Christians" as you put it, so criminals being released at random-Christian-will is hardly reality...I don't think we have that to worry about. But I wonder if mankind could be a little less quick to end a life & pass complete/final judgment as to whether a person is "incorigable" or not..(and many governments have, thus abolishing the death penalty)

Again, who ever said he had to be
released...

the issue here is taking life...

This is funny...this debate actually only started, really, when I thought it ended...cool!