Sunday, October 29, 2006

GOOD QUESTION!--BETTER ANSWER!!!

Ok, I don't know how all this posting & copyright stuff works....I didn't write this...but I suppose if I quote the original source of this article....anyway, I am a member of the orginization of who's blog I took this page from. It comes from:

'Live the Creed' a blog by various young missionaries with the Family International (like myself)....

This post was in the section answering the question "Why Would Anyone Want to be a Missionary Anyway?" ENJOY!!--I know I did!


Salvation
Why indeed?

I know of one man who switched careers mid-life and became a missionary. Prior to that he had the success and respect of his community. He gave it all up…and what was the result?

Eight times he was beaten. Three times shipwrecked, once spending a day and night adrift. He spent more nights in jail than I can count. Once he was left for dead by a mob. Once he was saved from another mob in the nick of time by the authorities…who promptly slapped him in jail again. He said:

"I have faced danger from flooded rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, as well as from (others). I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the stormy seas. I have lived with weariness and pain and sleepless nights. Often I have been hungry and thirsty and have gone without food. Often I have shivered with cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm." (2 Cor. 11:24-27)

Eventually his enemies caught up with him and he died under the executioner’s axe. Long before his death, how did he feel about his new career and the change in circumstances it brought? He is quoted as saying:

"I am quite content with insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities." (2 Cor. 12:10).

Fortunately we know why, because he once wrote: "Christ’s love has moved me to such extremes."

Perhaps one of his contemporaries said it best:

"We love Him (Jesus), because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19)

St. Paul and St. John are generally well-known and well-liked now, but in their time they were just ordinary men whose driving motivation was simply how much Jesus loved them. Whether we as Christians today will ever accomplish a tenth of what they did is irrelevant. It is the same love and the same motivation that now moves us. For no matter who we are, or what we’ve done or haven’t done, Jesus loved us. He loved us so much that He gave His life for us (John 3:16). He endured cruel torture and death so that we might have peace of mind and heart here in this life and no fear of what is to come in the next life. He offered—and offers—this gift to us for free! The gift of eternal life. All we have to do is accept it and thank Him for it.

His offer is for everyone. Why not give Him a try? It’s simple. Just ask Him. There are no right or wrong words to use. Just speak to Him from your heart. If you’re unsure of what to say, you could say something like this:

Dear Jesus, I ask You to come into my heart and life.
I want the love, peace and forgiveness that you offer.
Thank you for this free gift. Thank you that you love me.
Fill me with your Spirit and set my life on the course you know is best.
Amen.

Now what?

to view this blog yourself simply visit www.livethecreed.com

3 comments:

Nyx Martinez said...

Brain, you are one of the most faithful missionaries I know.

GB.

Nyx Martinez said...

By the Way, have you seen "The Inside Man"?? Go watch it--just for the opening song!!

Unknown said...

Nyx, you honor me with your comment....I'm shocked!!! Anyways, it's only JESUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSS!!
I love Him! And He loves me! That's the only thing I have to go on, really!--Seriously! Without Him I could never work!

About the movie...I did see it! I liked it...except for the whole "angle", if you know what I mean?..I was like "how long do we have to hear it", type thing?

But yeah, I know what you mean about the song...I was in Luton when we were watching it, just a couple months back & I was like, oh "Cheiiah! We danced to that song in Kenya!" & they were like "Yeah! You and your sis performed it for us last time you were here!" I was surprised they actually remembered! Cool!